Friday, November 5, 2010

Postprandial Precocious PeRColating Past-times

I officially deem today "P" day! I officially dedicate it to the large "P" section in my Webster's New 3rd World Unabridged dictionary. First off, I heard the coolest thing on NPR (SciFri!!!) today. They were discussing precotial species of birds, which are able to fly directly after hatching, which is pretty amazing. Humans are on the complete opposite of the spectrum, being uber-altricial. I mean, some of us are still with our parents when we are 30yrs old. Both strategies have their advantages and disadvantages, of course. Reflecting on my own life, I am probably a bipolar mix of both.

I partially attribute my precociality to the fact that my parents held me a year back and had me take pre-school 2yrs in a row. I was always a year ahead in experience from my peers, which probably gave me an edge academically but also set me apart. To this day I still don't like associating with kids my own age (don't know if this was the true cause for my antisocial nature, but it is a good suspect). I suppose I don't like talking to people who are dumber than I am because their stupidity annoys me to insanity, so I guess if I talk to you then that means you are probably more intelligent than me in 1 or more aspect and I believe that you can teach me something.

Speaking of stupid people, I got stuck next to this clueless blonde girl (sorry for blonde discrimination...). Maybe she isn't stupid, but definitely super-uber-double-altricial. She asked me if she should go and get the "D-scale" quiz we were taking in poli-sci, so I told her: "Yes...". i don't know why she had to ask me, I mean if that is what everyone else is doing, then you probably should not just sit there and stare while everyone else works. Then she asked me what "Don't Ask Don't Tell" is and what she should mark (1-7) if she "liked gay people." I tried not to laugh and told her what to do.

Onto more absurd scientific coincidences- "There are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences"- V. On my bio-test there were some questions about sliding muscle filament theory, which after I read it 12 times I finally understood it and actually thought it was kind of intriguing. Today the class before my compsci class had written a whole bunch about it, except the more complicated graduate level version, but I still knew the generalities of it. Then today I saw a small spider in the shower, one of the few that don't creep me out (the cute little fuzzy jumping ones). Suddenly I gained perspective on the scale of molecular biology. A similar process probably takes place for that tiny little spider to move- the same thing that makes my muscles. just an interesting insight of chemical universality. I suppose I will never be able to fully comprehend the minuteness of atoms.

Also, new this week I think I have decided to double major in applied mathematics. I figure, if I ever want to get into cryptography I am probably going to need a degree in math. I was kind of scared at first because of all the brainwashing I have undergone to fear math, despite my great resilience and advocation of mathematical advancement (Go Wolfram|Alpha!!! Just had to say that). I guess when I reflect on my math career, I have had a lot of bumps on the way and I know I will in the future, but that should not stop me from at least taking a whack at it. Maybe I am secretly a super math genius? :)

Well, I have to go write my polisci paper, at least part of it, before I go to work in about an hour. I think I am going to title it: "Educational Reform In The 21st Century: From Grassroots to the Lawnmower." Thought it was a clever metaphor that makes people go: "what?!" Anyone that has strong opinions on nationalizing education to make it more efficient, fair and globally competitive, then please do comment and I will consider your ideas for my paper. Fair well for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment