Friday, July 8, 2011

Sucker Punch: Review

I was amazed to find that critics were so harsh to this film. Something like only 20% of critics gave this film a positive rating, so I thought I would give my spiel in defense of this movie.

Pro's:

Music: I instantly fell in love with the music. It features Sweet Dreams (Are made of this) by Emily Browning and Annie Lennox at the very beginning of the film. This song is so powerful and intriguing, I have listened to it many times, after seeing the show. Another great song was White Rabbit by Emiliana Torrini (she also sings Gollum's Song in LOTR, which a fave of mine also). My sister has listened to this song over and over so I am a bit sick of it, but still enjoy it occasionally. I just feel like if you don't have a feel for the music at the beginning of the movie, then you probably will not enjoy the movie because it really sets the tone.

Story: *Spoilers* This film reminds me a lot of Inception, which surprisingly did much better than this film did. I personally think I would rate them both just about the same. My ultimate favorite would definitely have to be the Matrix Trilogy (for this genre anyhow). The main character, Babydoll, is essentially put into a mental institute by her stepfather. In order to cope she imagines she is a dancer for some rich chauvinist pig. It is kind of a dream within a dream thing, as she imagines she travels to a far off land, fighting orcs, dragons, cybertrons and black soldiers. I really connected with this part because I secretly enjoy slaying invisible orcs and such when I am bored. Anyhow, they must get 5 things to escape and it shows them getting these items and two different parallel realities, neither of which is really reality. It is all rather confusing, but great at the end when everything comes together and you understand.

Action Scenes: Ok, so a group of sexy miniskirt clad girls, equipped with pistols and shotguns, jumping around blasting evil fiends and demons is just awesome! It did become kind of repetitive at times, but still pretty enjoyable. I would have to say I have similar feelings about this movie as with Inception.

Con's:

I will admit that this movie is frustrating at times and very confusing. Sometimes it does seem to drag on...This movie is not necessarily for pure entertainment, if you will. A lot is about the ideas and subtleties hidden in the background. Entertainment wise, I would give this movie a 7/10. It really could have done better. Everything else was superb. Basically, you are either going to understand the movie and be able to appreciate it or you will probably just hate it....This movie is awfully like a Salvador Dali painting. It is so very surreal...while you might not necessarily enjoy it, you love it because of the artistic value and utter absurdity of it all! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment