Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Ubuntu: Nefarious or just Solopsistic?

So, this has been my first week with the Linux/Ubuntu OS. You have probably seen my numerous rants on Facebook...I am beginning to wonder if Ubuntu is nefarious or just solopsistic? Sometimes I think it is just flagrantly evil, but I suppose that is Microsoft Windows' job, which therefore leaves Ubuntu to just have its own mind. It acts if it is the only one that exists. Nevertheless, I think I prefer Ubuntu...it keeps things exciting and challenging. What would life be if I couldn't sit on the computer for 6hrs straight inputing numerous seemingly worthless codes into a terminal just to get a eclipse to start up or just properly parse a php code through Apache? Even though I am the one who has administrative control I have to go through about 50 back doors just modify one line of an Apache initialization code. Sometimes Ubuntu likes to pretend that it owns me and not vice versa. After much battling I finally did figure out how to make an alias with Apache, get Eclipse to start properly, install the php plugin, get it to point to the right location, and properly install and uninstall Java 50 times (and correctly point Firefox to the right place for the plugin). Ok, well I am sure you have had enough of me ranting about computer things that you most likely don't even comprehend....

I have, however, came to the conclusion that I like google chrome better than firefox, at least for it's easy interface and functionality. I enjoy just being able to type into the address bar to search something. Or how it remembers which sites I like and I only have to type the first letter, then enter for it to go there. Firefox is much more secure, on the other hand. I even have it set up on a network to ensure a more anonymous browsing experience. It is interesting to see what happens when you login to various sites when they believe you are in some random country like Germany or Japan. Facebook has a total BF and asks you to do all this crap to verify it is really you. Sometimes google is in a different language and when you see those stupid dating commercials saying something like: "Would you like to meet someone in Salt Lake City, UT?" it will substitute the location for some other random location. Oh, I also figured out how to send encrypted email messages using PGP. You make a public and private key using a password and random numbers generated by keystrokes, processing speeds, and mouse movements. You send your public key to a server and when you send someone an encrypted email, then they use your public key. I suppose they would also need your password or would they? I am still confused on that part, as of yet. I guess they could encrypt with their private key and send it back to you followed by you decrypting and sending it back, whereby they can fully decrypt using their private key. Will have to read up more on how that works...

Tomorrow is my postal exam, which I am not particularly looking forward due to my erratic sleeping patterns. Not to mention that it is at some random hotel downtown, which means I have to drive- a long way...and as we all know I detest driving. I guess since I am writing this at 6:30pm today instead of my usual (between 9am/pm)?

Ok, well that's enough for today. Happy week before doomsday!

I guess the words for today are solopsism- a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing; and
nefarious- flagrantly evil or impious.
Song of the day:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1QzuDCp2pU&feature=PlayList&p=568A694E9FBE3CF5&playnext_from=PL&index=30
(Apparently this is song was done by Robert Pattinson's sister, but I am still in denial)

No comments:

Post a Comment